Friday, August 26, 2011

Overtrained?

I went on a tempo run yesterday. Well, it was supposed to be a tempo run, but really it just plain sucked. By mile 2 I was completely done. My muscles were sore. My breathing was off. At mile three I thought "Turn around and go home. Six is enough." Unfortunately I totally ignored those thoughts and kept running. By mile 5 I was on the phone, crying to my husband and apologizing that he was going to miss his train because "I just can't do it". He told me not to worry and to take my time and that we'd figure out his commute once I was home. I kept plugging on - walking and jogging. Doing anything but tempo. I arrived home 15 minutes later and 1 mile shorter than I planned. It was a complete failure.

I was disheartened to say the least. This was twice in one week where I couldn't do what I had set out to do. Sure, my speed work has been great and I've been doing all the runs I'm supposed to but I'm not accomplishing my pace/time goals.

And then I read this article (7 Ways Runners Can Avoid Overtraining) and I realized that I was making some (not all) of the mistakes they say to avoid. I haven't been sleeping like I should. I work late (10 or 11) and then I'm up early running before the hubs leaves (and working some more until the kids wake up). I've been running around doing fun summer things with my kids and not relaxing in the afternoons. I haven't been following the 90% rule (I'm kind of a "go hard or go home" kind of girl). And I really don't cross train. It's all running for me.

And then what really struck me was number 7 and the signs of overtraining:

  • persistent achiness, stiffness, or pain in the muscles and/or joints (beyond the typical delayed onset muscle soreness felt after a workout)
  • lack of energy
  • fatigued and/or achy muscles
  • frequent headaches
  • feeling lethargic or sluggish
  • drop in athletic performance
  • not able to complete your normal workout
  • depressed, moody, unmotivated
  • nervousness
  • lack of sleep and/or appetite
  • weight loss
  • lowered immune system
I have felt nearly every single one of the issues mentioned. Especially this week. It's been two weeks now that I've had a headache nearly every single day. I came down with a little bit of a cold on Sunday night and never slowed down. I did all my runs. I kept working late. I played hard (the lake, the park, hanging out with friends, etc). I didn't take any time to let the cold run its course.

So, here I am on Friday completely wasted and exhausted. I didn't run this morning - really didn't feel like I could - and I'm not going to do my long run tomorrow. Yes, it's killing me. I hate missing runs. But I also hate being on a run and feeling so weak that I break down into tears and consider taking a taxi home (true story - happened yesterday). I am hoping that by forcing myself to relax for the next three days I'll start feeling better. And when I do start training again I am going to be careful about over training.

Has anyone ever had this experience with over training? Thoughts? Tips? Advice?

2 comments:

  1. I read that article - there were some really good points in there. Sounds like giving yourself a couple days off is a good idea - enjoy the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely sounds like your body is telling you it needs a rest. A little time off... some extra sleep, less running, will probably make a big difference. :)

    ReplyDelete