Monday, January 17, 2011

15 Miles

Mile 7 at 7:15 am - iPhone photo.
Boston is in the distance - Prudential Center and John Hancock Tower side by side. The body of water is the Chestnut Hill Reservoir.

I did a long run on the sixth of January all by myself. That was a first. Other than my Wicked half in September, I had never run longer than about 6 miles on my own. That day I ran 15.47. It felt great. In the days leading up to the run, I was worried and also excited about it.

I planned out my route, figured out babysitting for my kids, loaded John Grisham onto the iPhone, filled up my fuel belt with lots of yummy treats and I was off. It was BEAUTIFUL clear morning. Pretty chilly (although nothing compared to what I've run in since then). I ran from home to Beacon Street. Up Beacon Street, around Boston College, over to Commonwealth. Down Commonwealth and then back home. I will say I much prefer running Commonwealth (Heartbreak Hill) down.

I got through about 5 chapters of my book and when I didn't want to listen anymore, I called and talked to Matt (hubby) for the last three miles while he was on his commute. It was awesome because while he was on the phone I beat my previous half marathon and I got to "celebrate" that with him.

I was really pleased with how I felt after the run. I wasn't nearly as tired or as beat up as I had expected. I even made it through the whole day without a nap and attended an event that evening. No crashing! I owe it to the chocolate milk and egg breakfast I had as soon as I got home! I think there is something to be said for running alone...which is a good thing since I will be running the National Marathon by myself. (Any takers?!)

All in all, probably one of my favorite long runs to date. It definitely kicked my 16-miler's (this last weekend) butt. I'll have to write that one up another day.

2 comments:

  1. So impressed and totally proud of you! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job...I used to live in the area that you ran in and loved it for running. You will do great at the Marathon.

    ReplyDelete