Wednesday, March 2, 2011

MIA

I have been MIA for the last two weeks. Less than 48 hours after my race I came down with a horrific cold/flu. I had it all - throwing up (although not much), diarrhea, chills, fever, body ache, cough, sore throat, etc. Monday and Tuesday I was completely wiped out and good for nothing. Wednesday I felt a little bit better but still laid low. On Thursday I woke up, for the first time, not feeling like death. The Nyquil did it's job and I slept so well. So I went about my day running errands and getting my house in order. That night I went on a 4-mile run with a friend. I came home feeling TERRIBLE. I almost never feel worse after a run, but it was bad. I didn't sleep as well that night and woke up on Friday feeling really sick and weak. My stomach hurt and was unsettled. I could not, no matter how hard I tried, warm up. It didn't matter what I was wearing or how many blankets I was using, I was just cold. The day did get a bit better, although I went to bed still not feeling great.

I got up for my run (13 miles) and headed out the door. I was feeling a little bit better, but determined to take it easy. Luckily my running partner had the same goal in mind (she was recovering as well). It was not an easy run. My stomach was giving me fits for the first 5 miles and mentally I felt completely beat. Around mile 7 I started to feel a heaviness in my chest. It hurt to breath. I called my husband at mile 8 and asked him to come get me (first time I've ever done that). I knew he was going to be awhile since my daughter was still asleep so I kept running until about mile 9 and then I couldn't run anymore. But it was too cold to just stop, so I walked. I finally convinced my running partner to go ahead and run home (took a LOT of convincing - she's a good friend like that) and I kept walking. I walked until about mile 10 when my husband pulled up and drove me home.

He'd had enough and while I was showering he called the doctor and set up an appointment (like he'd been trying to get me to do all week). I went in early that afternoon and was diagnosed with walking pneumonia. Seriously. I was totally freaked out because my marathon is FOUR WEEKS AWAY! I asked her if it would take that long to recover and she said it was up to me and how willing I am to rest.

So, since Saturday afternoon, that's about all I've done. I've slept and read and watched movies and done minimal cleaning. I've had friends watching my kids, bringing in dinner and checking in on me. My husband's been super helpful when he's been home. I've cried a few times to my husband and sister because this kind of set back just doesn't feel like a good thing at this point in the game. And I've been super nervous about what this is going to do to me and my marathon.

I still haven't gone running and I'm really trying to decide when to go again. I don't want to push it and end up regretting it. I've talked to a few running friends and even emailed Tonia (thank you for the immediate response!) to get opinions on where to take my training from here. So far everyone agrees that since I've already run 20 miles, I will be able to run my marathon. It may not be fast, but I should be able to do it. I'm going to cut back on my running and will just listen to my body for my next three weeks. I didn't have a time goal, since it's my first marathon, so I'm just trying to focus on gaining strength and getting better. And when race day comes, I'll do my best. And it will be great.

3 comments:

  1. listening to your body is the best you can do. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will absolutely complete this marathon but right now you need to listen to your body or your won't get there. You've done the work and you'll be great! Rest up...take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Nancy - you've done the work but now it's really important to listen to your body. I had walking pneumonia before and kept trying to push through it...let's just say that was not a good choice! Take care of yourself and you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete