Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"My new shoes make me run faster"


I said this to my husband this last night and he laughed at me...rightly so. I got Nike Vomero+ 5 on Monday (after going to Marathon Sports and trying a bunch of different kinds) and I was so excited to wear them. Maybe it's not my new shoes, but considering that I set a 10K PR last night - knocking nearly 5 minutes off my last official 10K time (Tufts, October '10) - it felt like it might be the shoes.

I actually headed out with a full intention to set a PR. I needed speed. After being held back because of sickness, I needed to unleash it. And I did. My splits....

Mile 1 - 8:10
Mile 2 - 8:20
Mile 3 - 8:46
Mile 4 - 9:26 (this was tough mile - lots of hills)
Mile 5 - 8:53
Mile 6 - 8:17
Mile 6.2 - 2:11
Average - 8:43

It was not easy - especially after those first two miles. My legs felt like they were going to give up on me, but we kept pushing on. Mile 4 I really slowed back because I knew I needed to in order to come back strong for the last two. For the second half of my run I was listening to Ultramarathon Man, the chapters where he covers his first Western States 100 Mile run. At one point, he quoted his first coach who said, "If it doesn't hurt like hell, you're not doing it right." I must have been doing it right because my legs hurt like hell on that last mile. They gave it everything they had...and then some. I love my legs for that.

And with just 10 days away from the marathon, I am feeling good. No, I will not be running the marathon at this pace. Never has been my plan. Not sure if I'll even run one mile at a 8:43 pace. But it felt good to do this. It felt good to know that my body can and will still work. Bring it on.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome job!! I need those shoes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't amazing what happens with new shoes! You will do great at National, it will be so exciting so enjoy every minute.
    I wanted to give you a heads up that a couple of my running friends and myself are coming down to do the Heartbreak Hill half, (if I am better) didn't know if you thought about running it. I think it is in your neck of the woods.
    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete